What are Fields?
Fields are designed to help with the categorization of work and to help organizations transition away from Projects.
Fields are a part of the evolution of our Data Model that elevates the Shortcut experience for more structure, organization, and flexibility.
The following Fields can be added to Stories, each with its own subset values:
- Technical Area
- Skill Set
- Product Area
Check out the Getting Started with Fields video for a quick overview.
How to enable Fields
- Click on your User Icon on the bottom-left area of your screen.
- Click Settings.
- Select "Fields" under Workspace Features.
- Select Edit on the fields you'd like to enable for the Workspace and toggle the setting on.
- For Shortcut-defined Fields, you can't edit the Name or Description, but you can modify the Values for each Field.
- Colors can be configured for Technical Area, Skill Set, and Product Area by clicking on the color box next to each value.
- For Priority and Severity, although each value can be renamed and disabled or enabled, the color and the order of the values or icons cannot be changed.
- The Severity field will only show on Stories assigned as a Bug-type.
Field Definitions and Default Field Values
The table below contains a breakdown of the Default Fields available, their default definitions, as well as their default values. While you can't change the Field Type or Definition of these fields in this release, you're free to remove and/or add Field Values as you please. (There is currently no limit to the number of field values that can be created).
|Field Type||Definition||Default Value|
|Technical Area||The location in the tech stack of this work||
|Skill Set||The skills or abilities needed to complete this work||
|Product Area||The impacted area or feature within the product||
|Priority||Used to filter and sort Stories in order of priority||
Used to filter and sort Stories in order of severity
Filter Views and Field Types:
If viewing the Table View, you'll also be able to group by Fields using the "Group By" dropdown menu.
Where Fields appear: